Through a dark glass - musings on the Catholic Church from an outsider on the inside

I hope more eyes than my own will visit this site and find it of interest. Perhaps my perspective as a non-Catholic working for Liguori Publications will intrique. From time to time, my thoughts may scandalize but I hope they never bore.

Friday, December 23, 2005

Angels Working Overtime

Hello:

I don't know that I have ever really believed in the idea of "Guardian Angels". I believe in the heavenly host all right, but I can't really picture these celestial extensions of God's will running around to keep me out of trouble. If however; I were going to start thinking that way, I would start today.

I mentioned a couple of days ago that I hadn't started my Christmas shopping yet. With everything going on with the house, I just couldn't make myself think along those lines. Speaking of the house, I may have mentioned that it is being sold "as-is" and though I've been able to have a private building inspector come look at it; I haven't been allowed to have the city or utilty inspectors in. Both things have been a source of stress the last few days (which might explain my slightly curmudgeonly post "Progress").

Well today everything went my way - even new problems that cropped up seemed to melt away. I learned that some of the inspections I was worried about scheduling aren't even required because the house is in a historic conservation district. The gas company said they don't care that the boiler was installed in 1950 or that it looks like a pizza oven. The city of St. Louis was extremely helpful and it looks like my occupancy permit will be issued the day I close (it seems that they mostly worry about smoke detectors). All in all, a big relief.

These things were resolved before lunch and I was walking on air. A quick bite and then on to do that shopping! But wait - I get an urgent email from the lender that they need a "satisfactory termite report" and they'll be ready to cut the check. I call my lender and the conversation goes something like this.

"I got your email". "Great, can you fax that report to me?" "Well I can,
but it's going to say that the termites in the garage are satisfactorily content
and looking forward to Christmas when they'll finish eating the back
wall." "Oh yea, hmmmmm."


Once again, the angels dove into action. A few phone calls (that were all miracously answered) later; the inspector is sending a modified report, and the termite guy has agreed to unleash weapons of mass destruction next Tuesday morning. Amazing!

Situation uncontrol, I head to the local mall and pull into a parking space that must have been reserved for me. In about an hour I finished all my shopping and had time to drink a cafe mocha! Everything I bought, I got on sale and I think will be appreciated by the people receiving them. Amazing!

I'm going to wrap up by featuring a Liguori Publications title and then I need to hit the road (I'm spending the weekend at my Mother's in Southern Illinois). For obvious reasons today's title is
Angels All Around UsThe Catholic Belief and Experience which is one of our videos. I hope the lives of everyone reading this are going as smoothly as mine this holiday season. Merry Christmas!

Peace on Earth and good will toward men,

P. Del Ricci - Dark Glass

2 Comments:

Blogger LET'S TALK said...

Just saying thanks for renting my blog and thanks for understanding the problems I have going on at my site with my conservative friends. Just wish I could have brought you more clicks and just as I said, if you are not satisfied with my site because of the rough opinions that I get you are still welcome to get your points back. thanks again

12/24/2005 3:34 PM  
Blogger Philip Del Ricci said...

No such thing as bad publicity. You just have to spin it correctly.

Peace,
P. Del Ricci - Dark Glass

12/27/2005 1:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home