Through a dark glass - musings on the Catholic Church from an outsider on the inside

I hope more eyes than my own will visit this site and find it of interest. Perhaps my perspective as a non-Catholic working for Liguori Publications will intrique. From time to time, my thoughts may scandalize but I hope they never bore.

Saturday, December 17, 2005

The Speed of Life

Hello:

Any regular readers out there may have noticed that I've been unusually scarce lately. This time of year it isn't that odd to find the lairs of BLOG denizens empty but for myself I have an extra reason. I'm buying a new house! I think I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was thinking about it, but it looks like it is actually happening. It's been a real whirl wind to say the least.

The odd thing is that I have been perfectly happy in my 1920's bungalow in the Bevo district these past 6 years. In fact, if it weren't for Dave the Simple Brother over at Saintly Sinner; I wouldn't have even known the new house existed. He's been looking for a house in the same neighborhood as his apartment and sent me an email about this one. It was love at first sight and I got approved for a new mortgage without ever having seen the inside.

The sellers had one open house from 1 - 3 PM and I had the winning offer! Can't you just picture me in an office on the second floor drinking port and finishing my novel? This house actually looks out on to the Missouri Botanical Garden and Tower Grove Park. Two premier locations in St. Louis. How can I afford it you ask? One it needs A LOT of love (the furnace dates to 1950) and two I can't really but I'll make it work. The mortgage payment will be twice what I pay now. Oh well, it is only money. ;-}
Normally, I am very conservative (fiscally anyway) and would never make such a large jump. This type of opportunity doesn't come along very often though and I know that if I ever want a house like this I need to get it now - pre rehab and just commit myself to living poor for the next decade or so. After all, life is about opportunity and the ability to take advantage of the options we are given. Money is only a means to an end and of itself is useless.

How perfect is this place? Well it even has a little hermitage in back. A great little place for Brother Secundo to write about Mystical Alchemy when he's in town. I could go on and on about original cherry wood doors (bad drainage in the backyard) red oak floors (termites in the garage) stained glass windows (no air conditioning) but I think I will wind this up. For obvious reasons my posts will probably be erratic for the next few weeks (months?) but I'm sure that housing updates will feature prominently. For those that think I prattle too much about Liguori Publications, you'll have a new topic to think I prattle too much about.

Happy holidays!

P. Del Ricci - Dark Glass

PS - I'm not the least bit ashamed of Christmas but I don't think that wishing a joyous season to those of all faiths and creeds is a problem.

5 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

Now you blame me, but soon you will be THANKING me for finding this house for you. In fact, I should probably get a cut of the realtor's fee.

Dave

12/17/2005 7:58 PM  
Blogger Shelly said...

It's beautiful! Congratulations! I agree with you -- it's worth it to fix it up. Have a wonderful Holiday!!!!!!!!

12/17/2005 11:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're going to live in a castle! Lucky duck. It is absolutely gorgeous!

12/18/2005 4:35 PM  
Blogger Wally Banners said...

Dude as a fellow Cathoilc I am telling you that house is so freaking huanted. Make sure you retain a Preist to bless it inside.

12/18/2005 9:28 PM  
Blogger Philip Del Ricci said...

If it doesn't come with ghosts, I want my money back!


Peace,

P. Del Ricci - Dark Glass

12/20/2005 5:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home