Through a dark glass - musings on the Catholic Church from an outsider on the inside

I hope more eyes than my own will visit this site and find it of interest. Perhaps my perspective as a non-Catholic working for Liguori Publications will intrique. From time to time, my thoughts may scandalize but I hope they never bore.

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Time for Revival



Hello:

It's been a long time since I have consistently posted to Dark Glass. In fact, I wouldn't count any post that I've made since May (either of them) as 'real'. 2006 has been a strange year, both for myself and Liguori Publications. It is easy to see the signs and portents which demand a hiatus from the things we love, but so much more difficult to sense the mundanities that signal the time to revive our passions. I'll argue vehemently that the imminent arrival of 2007 in 4 short days has nothing to do with my new found motivation. Then again, I'd also argue that I don't use large words when small ones would do.

When you have been away from something for a significant length of time, it's easy to see what you've given up. I stopped going to the gym about the same time that I stopped BLOGging. I went this morning and it kicked my ass. It was good though. It was good to be back there and it is good to be back here. My workout was harder this morning and I find that I'm not so free and easy as I write this post. I'll try to limber myself up by working at each more regularily.

I'm certain I'm not the only person who's been a little introspective as the year comes to an end. Before I sign off, I'll feature a Liguori title which can add some needed perspective to our introspection. Where There's Hope, There's Life: Women's Stories of Homelessness and Survival by Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, CSSp. This is an extremely moving book based on Fr. Gittins' experiences working with the homeless of Chicago. He paints a large canvas with a pallet of 12 twelve real life women who live (and in one case die) on the streets. In several cases, the women know one another and their stories intersect in ways that draw the reader in and submerge him. It's a harsh book, but that harshness reveals hope and love in the most desparate of circumstances and makes it simple for us to embrace the blessings in our midst.


Peace,



P. Del Ricci - Dark Glass

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's funny, but so many of us with some sort of spiritual practice, have felt that slip this year. And a renewed fire for it just recently. No coincidences, we are all One at heart. I become more and more certain of that.

:-)

1/02/2007 6:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home