Through a dark glass - musings on the Catholic Church from an outsider on the inside

I hope more eyes than my own will visit this site and find it of interest. Perhaps my perspective as a non-Catholic working for Liguori Publications will intrique. From time to time, my thoughts may scandalize but I hope they never bore.

Monday, April 10, 2006

A Four Letter, Three Day Weekend


Hello:

I took last Friday off from work and spent my three day weekend cursing. I suppose that some time was spent preparing the old house to be sold, but it seemed like each project was just a precursor to more cursing. I did so creatively. I did so with vim, vigor and zeal. When I exhausted the old standards I resorted to inventing my own 4, 5 and even 6 letter explicatives.

Did you know that electrical boxes used in the 1920's were smaller in width and depth than the current standard? I did, but it's normally nothing but a mild inconvenience. Did you know that modern GFI outlets are larger than normal outlets and that that small small difference translates into a MAJOR pain in the ?!!!! What would normally take a screwdriver, a pair of plyers and 10 minutes; took a dremmel, a hammer and 2 HOURS! Oh and cursing, it took a steady torrent of language that threatened to peel off the fresh paint.



Most of Saturday and Sunday was spent in some variation of

  1. Pull fuse in basement
  2. Wire something in bathroom
  3. Duck walk through attic and shimmey under eave to check connections to fixture
  4. Hit head on attic roof
  5. Curse
  6. Return to basement, restore fuse
  7. Check operation in bathroom
  8. Curse
Change the order around as you will, but repeat those steps ad nauseum and you get the picture. To top it all off, my attic has vermiculite insulation. It's very effective, fire retardant, common in St Louis and .... oh yea was sometimes shipped in from Libby, Montana and can contain asbestos. The chances that it does are almost infinitesimally small but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little creeped out. All last week, I kept reading about how mesothelioma (a cancer caused by exposure to asbestos) is the most expensive Google adword .

For the most part, it's done and the house is ready to put on the market. I have to really question my laziness though. In the past few weeks I finished projects that I had been slowly creeping up on for the last 6 years. For 6 years, I'd been showering in the basement from a shower head hanging off an I-beam! Now there is a real shower in the bathroom that matches the period style of the house. For about the last 3 years, my hallway had a mechanic's drop light hanging from the ceiling and wired into the switch.

Now that it's over, I'm proud of my work. It all looks great. I might even, just a little bit, regret that I won't be living in the house long and have the chance to enjoy them. I wonder if I should advertise that someone with OCD did all the updates? My work is better than that of some contractors I've seen.

Earlier today they put the last coat of polyurethene on the refinished floors at the new house. I should be able to start living there in 36 hours! Hopefully, I've learned my lesson and won't put projects off at the new place. We'll see.

I'll leave you with a recommendation for a Liguori Publications title that's a little more positive than tales of my cursing talents. The Christ-Centered Heart: Peaceful Living in Difficult Times by Rick Mathis, Ph.D. Maybe it's time that I go back to yoga class?

Peace,

P. Del Ricci - Dark Glass

8 Comments:

Blogger Chandira said...

I think the OCD would be a great selling point! :-)

I've invented my own expletives too.. lol
I miss English expletives, they're very different. I have a Canadian friend who thinks I'm crazy, I always ask her to repeat herself when she swears...

Good for you, now, I have a dimmer switch I'd love installed in my kitchen!

4/10/2006 6:48 PM  
Blogger jungle said...

cursing is a highly under rated form of stress relief. also an art form.

keep it up.

4/11/2006 8:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two parties in one week is a lot, and I promise this will be the last time I will invite you just to celebrate my stats. However, yesterday I got my 2000th hit. Thank you for your part.

Important new post on my site.

A blessed Easter.

4/15/2006 12:11 AM  
Blogger Will said...

Your process sounds eerily similar to college students' approach to studying for exams...

I refound your link in a back post on my blog!

Cheers, -Will

4/17/2006 2:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
I am a sixties somthing retiree who is new to blogging. I stumbled across your blog through LS Blogs. I have run through some of your writing. Pretty good. Not only that but you have listed a book that I like "Confederacy of Dunces" as one that you like. I just ordered two books by Caroline Elkins who won the Pulitzer for nonfiction. Her latest book is about British behaviour in Kenya just prior to and during the Mau Mau revolution in Kenya.

By the way I am a Canadian who has no use for the present administration in the US and is horrified at its thinking style and its lies. Not only that but it appears that we have now elected a similar gov't in Canada who seems to also think that "might is right" and is similarily allied with at least some groups who identify themselves as Christians.

Dieter

4/17/2006 4:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, you've been tagged. Details in my blog. Sorry! I had to do it!

4/18/2006 12:19 PM  
Blogger Shelly said...

Didn't you know that inanimate objects respond very well to salty language? I'm positive that it helps the process along!

Congrats on getting the "old" houe fixed and for getting ready to live in the "new" one!

4/21/2006 12:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice site! Sport corrective eyewear evista generic Vldl cholesterol 1993 pontiac Skin care for women Asia free sex cams awning 2bhood Baccarat winged bull Rv awning supplies component video projectors Air maternity mattress Flat screen stand kayak boating Email+marketing+company awning tent.com links awning caravan ebay tennis girl nude Rimless eyeglasses in greenville nc commercial awnings arkansas

3/03/2007 5:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home