Through a dark glass - musings on the Catholic Church from an outsider on the inside

I hope more eyes than my own will visit this site and find it of interest. Perhaps my perspective as a non-Catholic working for Liguori Publications will intrique. From time to time, my thoughts may scandalize but I hope they never bore.

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

The World Keeps Getting Smaller





Hello:

I know it's been a few days since I posted. Working on the new house has soaked up most of the time I would normally spend working on my BLOG. The sad thing is that I have so many things that I want to share about my trip to the Olympics. Today, I'll continue on the theme of how small our world really is. You may remember that last December, Liguori Publications participated in a Letters to Santa project for the Lakota children of the Cheyenne River Reservation. In a bit of cosmic irony, three things happened while I was in Europe that were directly related to these children in South Dakota.

1. My second night in Italy, I was waiting to have dinner at Conca y Toro in Savigliano with some new friends. The waiting area was getting pretty crowded and I backed into a picture frame on the wall. I couldn't read most of it, but it appeared to be of a Lakota Indian Chief who was a Wounded Knee survivor. My camera had a bad memory chip in it and this was the best (only) picture that survived.

2. Several days later, I was having dinner in a Mexican restaurant in Zurich (picture Mexican food made with marinara sauce and swiss cheese, can't say that I'm in a hurry to have it again). My cell phone rang (I was surprised, I got better reception there than I do here). It was Joyce Smith, the Letters to Santa coordinator in St. Louis. She was calling to confirm the address for Liguori before she mailed us a thank you card.

3. I got this great comment from Euphoria while I was still away.
Hi I would just like to say that I have been on several occassions one of the volunteers who in the past has unloaded the van from St Louis when it arrived on the Rez, I am a UK female who volunteers at The Main (as it's known locally) over Christmas......it's wonderful experience and great fun.....please keep those presents coming....especially books and clothes, blanketts....and more than ever BABY clothes!

Many thanks
Please take a moment to visit her BLOG, also named Euphoria. It's well worth the visit.

Further proof that the world continues to shrink.

Be kind to your neighbor,

P. Del Ricci - Dark Glass

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home