Through a dark glass - musings on the Catholic Church from an outsider on the inside

I hope more eyes than my own will visit this site and find it of interest. Perhaps my perspective as a non-Catholic working for Liguori Publications will intrique. From time to time, my thoughts may scandalize but I hope they never bore.

Monday, January 30, 2006

Scraping by


Hello:


I miss writing in (to?) this BLOG as frequently as I had. Ideas for posts come and go when I lack access to a keyboard, a pad and pen or even time. Apparently one of my personal goals for this BLOG (developing a habit for writing - we'll worry about skill later) has been achieved. Today's post was spawned by what I was doing LAST weekend (or is that weekend before last?), but I didn't want it to slip away. The title "Scraping by" stuck with me and I thought the pictures were interesting.

I've mentioned a few times now that I've bought a new house (The Speed of Life,Swept Away With Cleaning and OMPH). Well, new to me - but definitely a 'fixer-upper'. My best friend and I put in about 36 hours EACH scraping loose plaster off the walls. At first, it's a strangely satisfying task. Despite the obvious destruction, you can see your progress - which resembles some sort of crazy globe etched into the walls. It doesn't take long though before you are ready for the plaster to STOP coming down. At least the weather has been pleasant (completely unlike the normal 10 below St. Louis January - it's been in the 40's and 50's for weeks). I hate wearing a respirator in hot weather. No telling what this mix of lead paint and plaster dust does to your skin, much less your eyes.

By the time we got done - I had a headache, my ears were ringing, my wrist hurt and I had a tingling sensation radiating out of my shoulder. Fortunately, the condition was easily treated with Mexican Gatorade (aka margaritas) a magical potion I self prescribe frequently during cycling season. I really don't think I'm exaggerating if I say we probably hauled 200 pounds of broken plaster out to the dumpster. We actually wore away the tips of the scraper blades.

On the plus side, I have been so focused on house projects that I have had no time to fret about my upcoming trip to the Winter Olympics in Turin, Italy. I leave on February 8th, so I have planty of time to freak out. Right?

Well, I'll leave you with a focus on two Liguori Publications' titles. Daily Prayers for Busy People by William J. O'Malley, S.J. even if you don't have time to read it, you may find it comforting to see sitting on your shelf (which is the benfit I am getting from it at the moment). I'd also like to suggest Lenten Prayers for Busy People by Donna Schaper.

Maybe I can use how busy I've been as an excuse for the inaccuracies in my post about Lent? Of course, I would probably have been just as ignorant if I was lounging around all day.... Fortunately, Dave the Saintly Sinner has been giving me a crash course on Lent during our morning commute.

Peace,

P. Del Ricci - Dark Glass

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grazie per la visita del mia blog!
Have fun in Torino. I'll definitely bid again as I enjoy reading your blog. You have a unique perspective that appeals.
Ciao...

1/30/2006 5:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found your blog through the Zen Life (I think). Very interesting. I'm an ex-Catholic who loves the theology but not the heirarchical administration.

Glad to have found you and your musings here.

1/31/2006 3:36 PM  
Blogger Shelly said...

I am sooooo jealous PDR! Have a fabulous time in Italy and really you only need to worry by Feb 6. You have plenty of time! :o) I can't wait to see the finished result of the plaster scraping. How gratifying!

1/31/2006 3:55 PM  
Blogger Philip Del Ricci said...

WOW - I've received so many comments in the last few days. I am just glowing from all the attention. Check out the last few posts!

Peace,
P. Del Ricci - Dark Glass

2/02/2006 8:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home