Through a dark glass - musings on the Catholic Church from an outsider on the inside

I hope more eyes than my own will visit this site and find it of interest. Perhaps my perspective as a non-Catholic working for Liguori Publications will intrique. From time to time, my thoughts may scandalize but I hope they never bore.

Saturday, January 28, 2006

Exciting New Tenant







Hello:

This week's selection for tenant was made in about 2 seconds. No offense to the other 4 bidders, but this one HAD to be my choice. Please welcome My Quraan, a well maintained BLOG by a Quraan student who posts excerpts from and reflections on the writings of the Quraan. In these times of darkness and ignorance I think it is critical that we each communicate with one another. With knowledge, we possess the opportunity to recognize the good in each of us. Hmmm, that's getting pretty heavy. Just go read his BLOG!

The choice of Liguori Publication's product to feature today was equally easy. I recommend What Catholics Should Know About Islam by Father Vincent Heier. This is a $1.00 pamphlet that I think a lot of people should read. I'm including the description here.


Here is a simple, straightforward explanation of the primary tenets of Islam for the average Catholic. The pamphlet includes a brief history of Islam, and information on the Koran, the "five pillars" of Islam, and the meaning of Jihad. It offers thoughts for reflection on how Islam is lived in America and throughout the world today. Opportunities for dialogue are suggested. The author heads the Office for Ecumenical and Interreligious Affairs for the Archdiocese of St. Louis. An easy way to inform your parish or any group about the Islamic faith.
The runners up this week were (I'm really crunched for time - I'll write descriptions later):

Haunted House Dressing. I don't even know where to start. This is a pretty immersive experience created by author Jeremy Shipp. Jeremy participates in NaNoWriMo and has a book out which actually reviewed by Piers Anthony (you either know who he is or it isn't your genre). The format is a little dense, but well worth exploring. I've been reading this site for months now.


Life In Paradise - from the beach in Juan Dolio! Life on the beach where an umbrella in your drink is more pressing than a roof over your head.





In the Outer (Not Your Moma's Religion and Spirituality Blog) - This thought provoking BLOG is written for and by the 'thinking Christian'. Worth the time to visit.




3 is the Charm - This is the family BLOG of a couple who notice a few significant "3's" in their lives. Third marriage which counting Christ is made up of 3 persons. One of things that I like about this BLOG is that it is extremely positive and makes for enjoyable reading. Among other things, they like to write about Bed and Breakfasts they have visited.


Please try again next week guys. I'm really pleased there is this much interest. Well, I have to run. More plaster work in the new house today.

Peace,

P. Del Ricci - Dark Glass

PS - I was going to try and rent from My Quraan this week, but at 120 credits it is way to rich for my blood. Maybe I'm just under pricing Dark Glass?

5 Comments:

Blogger B said...

Thanku so much for this warm welcome, very happy to see it here, and sorry for coming back late, was busy over the weekend.

And exactly what i think there must be sharing and understanding of ideas and knowledge between faiths, as i believe in goodness in everybody, no matter where one belongs.

I will let u know when i will offer space on my blog again, would love to have ur page on mine. Will keep coming back here, Good bless u.

1/30/2006 4:52 AM  
Blogger cmmdtp said...

Thanks for the plug about my blog. I will try another time to rent from you. I visit your blog frequently.

1/30/2006 1:40 PM  
Blogger cmmdtp said...

I find this blog very interesting...since it is written by an outsider about the Catholic Church.

I was raised Catholic, but never understood the Catholic religion. I am now a Methodist and active in our church and other ministries. When I was going to Catholic church, the Mass was said in Latin, so that may have something to do with my lack of understanding...but it goes much deeper than that. Sounds like something I should write about, doesn't it?

Okay...I did write about it. You can view my post at my blog 3 Is The Charm.

1/30/2006 5:51 PM  
Blogger Philip Del Ricci said...

Mike:

Great comment - thanks for leaving it. Hopefully this will spark conversation from others.

To others reading this, you should check out his post I Don't Understand. Well worth the read.

I ALWAYS appreciate it when readers share their personal experiences. (*HINT**HINT*).

Peace,
P. Del Ricci - Dark Glass

1/31/2006 10:00 AM  
Blogger the bloke said...

Thanks Philip!

Incidentally, I too have "b" as a tenant at my blog this week.

Perhaps we can all engage in a tri-log??? :)

2/02/2006 2:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home