Through a dark glass - musings on the Catholic Church from an outsider on the inside

I hope more eyes than my own will visit this site and find it of interest. Perhaps my perspective as a non-Catholic working for Liguori Publications will intrique. From time to time, my thoughts may scandalize but I hope they never bore.

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

The Olympic Ideal


Hello:

The quality of my writing lately (always?) has been a little questionable, however; there are several themes that struck a chord with me during my recent travels. I'll do my best to share those themes in the form that I experienced them, but my writing will at best be an imperfect lense (or perhaps a dark glass). Today, I'd like to talk about the "Olympic Ideal".

Let me start by saying that the Olympics are humbling. VERY, very humbling. To be involved in any way, even as a spectator, is to be some small part of a gestalt of humanity. Part of the official goal of the Olympic movement is "to contribute to building a peaceful and better world by educating youth through sport practised without discrimination or any kind, in a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." It may sound overly idealistic, but it works and it is powerful. In these troubled times, the experience restored my hope for world peace.

I've gotten goosebumps a couple of times as I have tried to write this and relived various moments of my trip. I encountered people from around the world and was repeatedly struck by the friendliness, the curiousity and warmth of everyone I met.

I went into the Russian Team Store hoping to buy some Team Russia Olympic pins (pins are a huge phenomenon that I'll explain in more detail later). They didn't have any pins, but were eager to chat with the Americans who had wandered in.

During the Opening Ceremony, they have a parade of atheletes in which the Olympians of each nation are presented along with their flag. The only country I didn't clap for was Iran. Instead of clapping, I sat there pondering world politics and wondering if I was I was being petty. Several days later when I was skiing in Zermatt, I had a great conversation with an older man riding up in a ski lift. It turns out that he was an Iranian national who had been a US citizen for the last 30 years. He felt no more comfortable with Iran's current politics than I did, but it still made me feel very small.

I don't mean to sound sappy - but the world is smaller than we know and we must realize that we are each Brother and Sister to one another. I'll wrap this up by mentioning a couple of Liguori Publications products. Blessed Are the Peacemakers: Ten Steps to Peace by Mary E. Latela is a great book that shows that we can individually contribute to that which is greater than ourselves. The Cross and the Beatitudes: Lessons on Love and Forgiveness by Fulton J. Sheen is a classic that reinforces the themes of love, forgiveness and compassion. Necessary keys to unlock peace.


Peace,

P. Del Ricci - Dark Glass







































1 Comments:

Blogger Shelly said...

Hey there -- Welcome back! I love the pics. Sounds like you had a great time. I'm still pea green with envy. You're right the world is such a small place, but I think I would have sat there silent too.

So, you have piqued my curiosity on the book list. I love books that make me believe I could be published too if that drivel is in print. LOL It's small I know, but a relatively harmless pleasure. Post soon!!!

2/28/2006 7:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home