Through a dark glass - musings on the Catholic Church from an outsider on the inside

I hope more eyes than my own will visit this site and find it of interest. Perhaps my perspective as a non-Catholic working for Liguori Publications will intrique. From time to time, my thoughts may scandalize but I hope they never bore.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Did I Mention my new House had Bird Flu?


Ciao:

I have to be honest that I'm having trouble focusing enough to write a decent post. I'm leaving tomorrow for my trip to the 2006 Olympics in Turin, Italy and I think it is affecting my concentration (just a little bit). Any day now I'll probably be drinking with Bode Miller and tearing up the town with Apollo Ohno. Partying with those 2 may lead to our purloining the Shroud of Turin (seems like my mental vacation has all ready started). I'm 'mostly' packed but I'm still getting a little anxious.

So what's that got to do with Bird Flu? Nothing. Weren't you paying attention? I'm having trouble focusing. Anyway - I think I may have mentioned that the chimney in my house was blocked. The inspector found crumbling mortar and leaves and wasn't able to open the flu. In a very Cassandra like fashion, he preceeded to predict doom and misery for any who would dare to use the fireplace. In my ADHD manner - I took a break from plaster work and crawled into the fireplace (a perfectly natural thing to do). It turns out that the flu was just jammed in it's rails. When I got it open, a few leaves AND A DEAD BLACKBIRD fell on my face! The firebox of this fireplace is very large - but not large enough to share with a mummified bird. After removing Edgar Allen Poe's little buddy - I was able to see straight up to the sky. This chimney is so large, I could probably climb up it if I were being chased by click crazed paparazzi (or is it poparatzi?). Fortunately, neither is likely to happen.

Well, this has certainly not been my best post. I had wanted to leave off with something really special before I left for my trip - but well, this is what you're getting. Speaking of paparazzi, I'm taking a lot of photographic fire power with me on this trip. Brace yourself for months of vacation photos. I'd love to leave you with a suggestion for a Lenten titlefrom Liguori Publications, but I just can't tie one back to today's post. Instead I'll suggest something from our Travel series. Perhaps I can use Catholic Shrines of Western Europe: A Pilgrim's Travel Guide by Kevin J. Wright to help me plot my Shroud caper?

Arrivederci,

Peace,

P. Del Ricci - Dark Glass

5 Comments:

Blogger Kiwi Nomad said...

Hahhaha you made me laugh with this post. I hope you really enjoy your time in Turin and around. Shame about the poor bird.

2/07/2006 11:48 AM  
Blogger Kiwi Nomad said...

I hope you are having an interesting time over there. I have been watching some highlights on TV this afternoon.Quite fascinating as snow/ice sports are not the norm here.
I will be travelling not too far from Turin near the end of April- might even stay a night there! I have a great-great-grandfather from a little village near Locarno in Ticino. When I leave there I will probably take the train to Domodossola. I will think of you when I am vaguely in the vicinity of Torino!

2/11/2006 10:37 PM  
Blogger Shelly said...

Have a wonderful time! Wow, I'm sooo jealous! Share lots of great stories!

2/14/2006 6:35 PM  
Blogger Philip Del Ricci said...

I'm back! I'll put a post up as soon as I catch up with things and work and dig out from these 60 pieces of comment spam I got. GESH! This person should have his clock cleaned.

Peace,
P. Del Ricci - Dark Glass

2/22/2006 1:27 PM  
Blogger Chandira said...

YOu know, you could turn on the spam blocker, we wouldn't mind. I've got used to them now..

3/02/2006 6:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home