Through a dark glass - musings on the Catholic Church from an outsider on the inside

I hope more eyes than my own will visit this site and find it of interest. Perhaps my perspective as a non-Catholic working for Liguori Publications will intrique. From time to time, my thoughts may scandalize but I hope they never bore.

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Strange Place

Hello:

This post will be more personal than the topics I usually write about. I'm in a weird space and feel the need to write about it. My Grandmother passed away yesterday morning and I'm not certain how I feel about it. More to the point, I feel guilty that I don't feel much at all. Obviously, we weren't close.

My parents went through a rather tumultuous (a word I think should be used more often) divorce when I was about nine. It hadn't been a good marriage. It wasn't a good divorce. It was for the best.

I remember my Father's Mother as being distant and cold. During her rare visits she would sit and read plays or do crosswords while chainsmoking. As far as I can recall, she dealt with everyone equally, which is to say not at all.

I do have one warm memory of her. My parents owned a small lake in the country. She (I called her Peg) loved to fish. I remember getting an actual hug when I caught a large bass. It's the only one I can think of.

I last spoke to her five years ago when my Father was visiting. She called my house. When I answered, she asked for my Father. I handed him the phone.

I last saw her when I was sixteen. I am now thirty four.

My Father asked me to attend the service next Thursday (services will be held in Florida first, then she will be buried in Illinois). I said that I will go.

What will I think during the 4 hour drive? Will I feel anything at all for the person or will she become merely a symbol of frustration, resentment and rejection?

Peace,

P. Del Ricci - Dark Glass

4 Comments:

Blogger Kiwi Nomad said...

Philip, I don't think funerals are just about the person who has died. Your father has asked you to come, so he is clearly wanting your support. Perhaps your focus when you are there will be more on your father, and how you can be present there for him. I hope you are able to find a peaceful way to be there.

I was glad to hear you use the word 'tumultuous' of your parents' divorce. As a teacher I am seeing too often the effects of marriage breakdown on children. I think adults tend to underestimate how tumultuous the effects actually are.
Thinking of you,
Margaret

3/10/2006 2:32 AM  
Blogger Shelly said...

I am so sorry to read this post. I don't think you should feel guilty about not feeling 'more.' It's certainly not your fault that your relationship never really evolved. I agree with, Kiwi. Now your father needs your support and that's what's important. Be careful on the drive and take care!

3/10/2006 2:33 PM  
Blogger Kiwi Nomad said...

Just letting you know that I am thinking of you this week Philip.

3/13/2006 12:25 AM  
Blogger Dr.John said...

I will pray for you. I had such a wonderful grandmother. She was really special. I just assumed all grandmothers were like her. Well give your father all the support you can.

3/13/2006 7:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home