Through a dark glass - musings on the Catholic Church from an outsider on the inside

I hope more eyes than my own will visit this site and find it of interest. Perhaps my perspective as a non-Catholic working for Liguori Publications will intrique. From time to time, my thoughts may scandalize but I hope they never bore.

Thursday, November 17, 2005

Wise Words Billboard


Hello:

I have to confess that I bought another BLOGExplosion billboard. I wonder if I have a problem? The first step always seems to be admitting it. Actually, this time was a deliberate purchase. Since the rentals only last a week, renting a new one (or two) every couple of days should ensure continous coverage.

Today's acquisition is Wise Words written by Stephen in the exotic (to someone living in St. Louis) locale of Malaysia. I actually tried to rent this site last week but lost out. This week IT IS MINE. I really like this site because it reminds me of my office walls. Whenever I encounter a particularily meaningful quote - I type it up and post it in my office. Stephen wrote a very nice introduction to my site and took the time to understand what I am trying to accomplish.

As posted on Wise Words:

With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow...I
still have joy in the midst of these things.Riches and honors acquired by
unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud....Confucius, Chinese philosopher
(551 BC - 479 BC)


I don't think I need to explain the connection to this title from Liguori Publications and the topic of this post. Wit and Wisdom of the Saints: A Year of Saintly Humor by Victoria Hébert and Judy Bauer. I am going to steal the description again because this title has a little more humorous slant than what I've seen on Wise Words, but I still find a lot of bite-sized wisdom in this title.

We all like to spend time with people who make us laugh. Those who always have a
good word, a smile, and a happy perspective naturally draw us into their
friendship. But what about the holy men and women we have been taught to revere
for their closeness to God? Did they laugh and joke?

Wit and Wisdom of the Saints introduces us to our blessed heroes in a new way. A collection of witticisms from a full spectrum of saints, we are presented with sayings from the early martyrs to contemporary saints. From Bernard of Clairvaux to
Bernadette of Lourdes, from John Bosco to Blessed Pope John XXIII - this book
paints a warm and very human portrait of holy people who were also very happy.
A joyful presentation of the humorous side of sanctity, Wit and Wisdom of
the Saints reminds the reader that God wants His saints to be happy. Get ready
for a litany of laughter.


Peace,
P. Del Ricci - Dark Glass

4 Comments:

Blogger Stephen said...

Thank you, Philip. I'm glad to have you on board. Over at my blog, there is a bonus...after your one week lease is up, there will be a link back to your site under "Previous Blog of the Day". Cheers.

11/17/2005 12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very interesting blog this one!

11/17/2005 12:06 PM  
Blogger Don said...

Thank you Philip!

Good idea Stephen, I think I'll have to do that too!! :)

Blogging has helped me keep my sanity while working on this second PhD of mine... The reading of books is patially for my dissertation, and partly because I love to read. I typically sleep two to three hours a night (for over thirty years) so I have a lot of "free" time...

Happy Days!!

11/19/2005 8:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fumeaudinia [url=http://manatee-boating.org/members/Order-cheap-Cipro-online.aspx]Order cheap Cipro online[/url] [url=http://wiki.openqa.org/display/~buy-cytotec-without-no-prescription-online]Buy Cytotec without no prescription online[/url]

12/18/2009 8:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home