Through a dark glass - musings on the Catholic Church from an outsider on the inside

I hope more eyes than my own will visit this site and find it of interest. Perhaps my perspective as a non-Catholic working for Liguori Publications will intrique. From time to time, my thoughts may scandalize but I hope they never bore.

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Catholics, Fundamentalists and Islam Oh My


Hello:

Well my Halloween party (last Saturday) appears to have been a success. I didn't get home until 4 AM (it isn't unusual for me to be getting up at 4 so that was VERY late for me). All but a handful of guests wore costumes and most everybody took a turn at the scare-e-okee. Once again I seem to have made the drinks A.) Too strong and B.) Too plentiful, I ended up driving a friend home. I think I am going to hold off on posting pictures from this year's party so that I'll have something to post next year. I will go ahead and post a few from last year.

During the party, there were several people dressed as Catholic clergy (which led to the phrase "The Monk is Drunk and needs you to drive him home"). Surprisingly, this led to a number of serious conversations that usually started with the sexual abuse scandals and then branched out to the Church in general. I off-handedly mentioned the BlogExplosion billboard I am running over at Mormon Meanders and the conversation turned to contrasting the Catholic faith and a variety of others. PLEASE NOTE - this was a very fun party and these conversations were not typical. Anyway, when I got in Monday morning - I pulled out my trusty Liguori Publications catalog and found a number of titles that deal with Catholicism and other religions. We carry five titles (ok I'm counting one in English and in Spanish) dealing with Catholicism and Fundamentalists and two dealing with Catholicism and Islam. I haven't come close to reading all of these, but present them as an FYI. We have titles that discuss a variety of other faiths and philosophies, but I will save them for another time.

I believe that there has been a real deterioration in the quality of the posts I have been submitting to this BLOG (which considering what I thought of them when I started is saying something). As a result, I am planning on cutting way back on my update frequency. Most of them will still feature links to Liguori products and issues, I am trying to benefit my company afterall, but it is important to me that the posts be at least moderately interesting to a few people. There are plenty of sites out there that are just commercials or billboards and that itsn't what I want this to be. I'm taking tomorrow and Friday off. I hope to work on some writing projects but we'll see where the weekend takes me.

Peace,

P. Del Ricci - Dark Glass

6 Comments:

Blogger Shelly said...

Have a great rest of the week! Sounds like your party was a blast!

11/02/2005 6:32 PM  
Blogger Dak-Ind said...

i am what is known (affectionately) as a C&E catholic. meaning (obviously) that i am a fallen away woman who attends only on christmas and easter. so many of us are disillusioned with our church (not to say our religion) and sliding into agnostic-ism, not just because of the sex scandals, although that is a big part of it, but because the whole church is trying to become progressive, to get with them times. i dont want my church ruled by pop culture. so i find a nice cathedral in the city that still has a latin mass for the high holidays, and screw the rest. i am not alone in this, most of my thirty something friends feel the same.

11/04/2005 3:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How to deal with tough subjects, and keep it fun.

I enjoy your blog, do keep it up.

Thanks

11/04/2005 3:38 AM  
Blogger Philip Del Ricci said...

What's up Doc?

Other than a post you left once commenting on a picture of a pumpkin, I never quite feel like you and I are reading the same things. I have reread my post a couple of times, and not found anything in it even remotely mocking of anyone's faith.

I am a strong proponent of an individual's right to their own beliefs and opinions. I regret it when others do not extend the same courtesy.

Peace,

P. Del Ricci - Dark Glass

11/05/2005 9:57 AM  
Blogger zandperl said...

If you're looking for writing topics, try this NY Times article for inspiration.

Found you through BlogExplosion

11/08/2005 9:04 PM  
Blogger Philip Del Ricci said...

Hey ZandPerl:

Thanks for stopping by, that is a great article. Evolution specifically is getting a lot of attention lately and I am reassured to see articles that support the compatible role of religion and science in a person's life. I haven't seen the manuscript yet, but I know that Liguori Publications is working on a pamphlet to discuss the controversy surrounding natural selection and explain why it is consistent with the teachings of the Catholic Church.

I'm sure that Copernicus will be thrilled to hear about the Church's current attitudes.

Peace,

P. Del Ricci - Dark Glass

11/09/2005 7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home