Through a dark glass - musings on the Catholic Church from an outsider on the inside

I hope more eyes than my own will visit this site and find it of interest. Perhaps my perspective as a non-Catholic working for Liguori Publications will intrique. From time to time, my thoughts may scandalize but I hope they never bore.

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Mobile Refrigerator Magnets

Hello:

I stayed home sick today with a sore throat and pounding headache. I'm usually only out sick once or twice every couple of years but I still feel a little drained from last weekend's MS150 and decided not to fight it. I'm out of de-caf tea, but needed hot fluids for my throat. Result: tired, cranky and hopped up on caffeine! Lucky me, the roofers took yesterday off (while I was at work) and are now happily above me hammering to the same rhythm as the pulsing in my head - which also corresponds to the beat of the dance music I'm playing. I glanced in the mirror earlier and was greeted with further proof of man's tenuous grasp on civilization, I am positively feral. I fully intend to spend the remainder of the day unwashed and eating left over pizza with curry powder sprinkled on top. When you're sick, go with your urges!

Today's post came to me as I was leaving a comment on Lindsay's (Makeshift) Blog. The topic of her post was a slug infestation and her resulting war with the little marauders. My comment to her was about an incident in my college life that I had always found funny, and I decided to share it here.

When I was in college - I rented a house that had a slug "problem". Apparently the school was running a slug breeding program in the crawlspace under the house (some were big enough to saddle). Anyway, we called them "mobile refrigerator magnets". My roommates and I had an uneasy truce with them until one night I got up to get a glass of water and skied across the kitchen on the back of a monster slug (in my bare feet!).

The next day I brought several pounds of salt home from the restaurant I worked at and we mounted an offensive expedition through the crawlspace. It wasn't easy, the slugs had hired thousands of spider mercenaries to protect their lair. Things turned ugly for a awhile, we tried to rout the spiders by burning their webs and almost turned the entire house into a bon-fire party. In the end we persevered and never saw another slug there.

Well, despite the more than 2,000 titles that Liguori Publications publishes, the many books that Theological Book Services sells and the thousands of articles that have been printed in Liguorian Magazine; I can't really think of anything to tie this back to. Please leave a comment if you found today's post to be amusing (or disgusting). Tomorrow I may tell another college story "The Monster Under My Bed".

Peace,

P. Del Ricci - who now has a belly ache from eating pizza and curry powder for breakfast

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you're feeling better soon.
Stopped by to wave as I promised in my poem post :) :wave-wave: :D

C.

9/14/2005 9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home