Through a dark glass - musings on the Catholic Church from an outsider on the inside

I hope more eyes than my own will visit this site and find it of interest. Perhaps my perspective as a non-Catholic working for Liguori Publications will intrique. From time to time, my thoughts may scandalize but I hope they never bore.

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Angels of Liguori


Hello:

There hasn't been a lot of obvious activity on this BLOG in the last couple of days - but I am giving it quite a bit of attention. My postings may be a little scant while I work on designing a new look and adding in lots of features. I've been reading A LOT of BLOGs lately and trying to decide what to add. BLOGExplosion, has been a big help. It may take me a little while, but I'll eventually turn this into something worthwhile. I liked the way the pictures looked yesterday, but they made it hard to see the earlier posts. If I have a few minutes today, I'm going to go back through them and add relevent links to the Blood, Sweat and Gears races.

I've mentioned my fascination with the Saints a couple of times now in this BLOG. Today, I'm going to talk about Angels. I've started reading a Liguori Publications title called What You Should Know About Angels by Charlene Altemose, MSC. Sr. Charlene has published quite a bit of material with Liguori including the "What You Should Know" series. I haven't gotten very far into it but I like the approachable style of her writing. At only 79 pages, I don't think that anyone will consider it an authoritative text on the subject but I think it will prove to be palatable for anyone with a casual curiousity. It is laid out in an almost textbook fashion with lots of headings, which make it very easy to find material. I think she does a nice job of stepping outside scripture and drawing information from a variety of art, cultures and faiths while always being careful to clearly identify official Church teaching.

I may mention this title again once I've finished it. If I polish it off tonight, I can ponder it during the 150 miles of Missouri hills I'll be pedaling across this weekend and write about it next week. Hopefully, I'll come back with some pictures and stories worth sharing.

Peace,

P. Del Ricci

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home