Through a dark glass - musings on the Catholic Church from an outsider on the inside

I hope more eyes than my own will visit this site and find it of interest. Perhaps my perspective as a non-Catholic working for Liguori Publications will intrique. From time to time, my thoughts may scandalize but I hope they never bore.

Thursday, August 25, 2005

Project with my Grandfather




Hello:

Yesterday I mentioned that I had taken Thursday and Friday off work to catch up on some personal projects. Besides cleaning the house and running to the bank, I like to focus on my writing when I can set some time aside. Today, though I'm hoping to focus on my writing, I'm excited to be working on a project with my Grandfather. My Grandfather is an interesting character. He's 83 now but still sports a full head of hair (more than I can say for myself), stands a proud 6' 2" tall and drives at least as safely as I do ( which may not be saying that much). We lost my Grandmother about 8 years ago and after about 2 years of severe depression, my Grandfather has gotten on about the business of living life. Today, he routinely lies about his age. Sixty seven to be safe, "old enough to get the senior's discount, young enough to interest the younger women" as he would say. He is both the joy and bane of every widow in Southern Illinois.

I'm hoping that the project that he and I are working on will eventually result in a magazine article. If I can't get a magazine to pick it up, I'll post it to the web (and drop the link here) because I think some people will find it interesting and it will certainly tickle my Grandfather.

The entire project revolves around a letter that was recently found in my Grandfather's Sister's things. While my Grandfather (let's call him Pa since the other takes so long to type) was serving in England during World War II, he had received orders that he was being shipped out to France. Pa (which is really what I call him) was under orders not to communicate with anyone, so he asked a lady who's family he had gotten to know if she would write to his Mother and tell her not to worry. My Grandfather shipped out with his transportation division and played a key part in the liberation of Paris from the occupying Nazi forces (2 years ago, he received a commendation from the French ambassador to the United States for his role in reopening the supply lines). His request to the English lady long forgotten, he was recently surprised to receive the letter from his niece who had been going through her Mother's things. His Mother had suffered a stroke about the time the letter had been sent and his Sister Mildred had taken care of their Mother's bills and correspondence. Anyway (where's an editor when you need one?), the letter turns out to be 7 pages long and quite touching. The lady recounts at length how proud my Great-Grandmother should be of her son. His polite manners, his deep affection for a girl back in the states named Alene (who later became my Grandmother) and his superior military service.

I've asked my Grandfather to write something to go in parallel with the letter. I think the contrasts between his experiences and the lady's observations of them should be interesting. I also think that the differences in his outlook as a scared teenager serving his country during war in a foreign land and those of a comfortably retired 83 year old will hold a reader's attention. Truthfully though, even if he and I are the only people to ever find value in this; it will be time and effort well spent. I love my Grandfather dearly, but sometimes we run out of things to talk about. Rehashing the same old adventures from his childhood and mine holds us for a little awhile, and his most recent romantic interludes for a little while more; but the opportunity to build a new set of common interests and experiences is something I am really looking forward to.

Today I'm going to feature two Liguori Publications titles. One from the perspective of children coping with the aging of their parents and the other from the perspective of Grandparents staying active in their Grandchildren's lives. How to Honor Your Aging Parents: Fundamental Principles of Caregiving by Richard P. Johnson, Ph.D. covers a topic that many of us will have to confront and provides a framework to allow us to do it in a healthy fashion. Liguori publishes several titles by Dr. Johnson. The other Liguori title I'd like to mention is Creative Grandparenting Across the Miles by Patricia L. Fry. We carry a variety of titles by Patricia Fry dealing with youth issues. Honestly, this is a topic that I'm not that familiar with but I wanted to provide a balanced perspective (and promote 2 Liguori books).

Well, I may have set a new record for rambling today. If you read this BLOG and have any thoughts about it at all, please take a moment and leave a comment. I'm grateful to Christian_Male who recently left a remark. Many thank you's to all of you who take the time to read this.

Peace,

P. Del Ricci

3 Comments:

Blogger Shelly said...

I love this idea! Sometimes, I too wonder what I can do to keep things flowing with my grandparents and I think this would be great to read. So when you get it published, please let me know when/where!

9/02/2005 10:25 AM  
Blogger Faira said...

Something I did not do, that in hindsight now, I wish I had done while my Grandparents and Parents were still alive, is find out more about the old family pictures and family history in those pictures. Oh, I know a lot because we were a family that was very close and communicated a lot but after they all past away and I went through old family photos, I found I knew less than I thought I knew. Many, I didn't have a clue. I guess I thought, as many young people do, that my family would be with me always. We don't like to think of them eventually being taken from us. Oh, Their spirit and many good memories are still with me, but they can't answer my questions!

When you next run out of things to talk to your Grandfather about (or your parents), ask to pull out the old photographs and talk about each one, and write about ... the who, the what and the where on the back of each photo! I feel like I let my children and grandchildren down by not getting the information for some of these precious family photos set in my mind and written down.

It is too late for me but not for you. This is a Great project you have going with your Grandfather! I have a feeling that he is feeling less the pain of loss for your Grandmother because he has such a caring and loving Grandson!

10/19/2005 9:10 AM  
Blogger Philip Del Ricci said...

I'm ashamed that I haven't moved on this yet. Eventually it will come up on the Hyperfocus wheel of ADD and I'll get my part knocked out pretty quickly. I have plenty of vacation time yet this year. If I can wrap it up by Christmas, I think it'll be ok.

Peace,
P. Del Ricci - Dark Glass

10/19/2005 3:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home