Through a dark glass - musings on the Catholic Church from an outsider on the inside

I hope more eyes than my own will visit this site and find it of interest. Perhaps my perspective as a non-Catholic working for Liguori Publications will intrique. From time to time, my thoughts may scandalize but I hope they never bore.

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Shattered Vows and Celibacy


Hello:

When I started this BLOG I was extremely concerned that readers might take my views for those of my company, Liguori Publications. I was very careful to announce frequently and in a variety of ways that I am not Catholic and that my views are my own. That is in fact the premise of this BLOG, the observations of an outsider with an inside track. A more abstract viewpoint if you will. After all that lead-in, I don't know that I have actually touched on any controversial topics or at the very least - the readership hasn't indicated it if I have. It isn't that I am intentionally trying to aggravate people, but I'm critical of myself when I hesitate to use the word "bastard" or find myself subtlely steering a post in a particular direction.

I started thinking about this self censorship while I was reading Sunday's St. Louis Post Dispatch. I had just read the article "Catholic Bishops continue to back tradition of celibacy" and within 10 seconds had decided to use it as the core of a post, rejected the idea as too extreme and then determined that it would be the core. (My mind can become a pretty conflicted place at times.)

A quick summary of the article is that in spite of the critical shortage of priests, the first Synod of Bishops under the current Pope decided not to consider the issue of allowing priests to marry. I would like to respect this adherence to tradition. I would like to see a certain nobility in an immutable Church remaining steady within a chaotic and ever-changing world. I would even prefer to see the Church as something that stepped fully formed into the world and has been unchanged since that time. But... I can't.

If you read the article more closely, you'll see a quote from Cardinal George Pell, archbishop of Sydney, Australia that states "There has been a massive restatement of the importance of the tradition in the Latin church of mandatory celibacy,". Latin Church? When most people think of the Catholic Church, they think of the Latin Church and may not even realize that other aspects exist. There is also the Eastern Catholic Church which though closely related to the Orthodox Church is in full communion with Rome and recognizes the authority of the Pope. Eastern Catholic priests are allowed to marry but have the same privileges and obligations as a Latin rite priest. Also interesting is that celibacy was not always the rule of the Church (FutureChurch) . These are the sorts of things that erode my acceptance of the immutable Church concept. It very definitely evolves and changes over time.

I have no interest in tearing this topic apart in an academic fashion (I lack the background to do so if I wanted to). Truthfully, this post is more about my self-imposed boundaries than celibate priests. I find myself questioning the institution of the Church over it's stance on the ordination of women, the role of homosexuals, and the sexual abuse scandals among other things. To not reflect that questioning here does this BLOG, myself and my readers a disservice. One of the things I enjoy most about my work at Liguori is the discussion and debate which goes on so frequently. I believe that a sign of learned men (and women) is the ability to disagree with civility.

This post has wandered hopelessly, but I think I have more or less made the points I intended. I'll wrap up by providing some resources related to the topic.


Well, that should more than do it. I'll be attending a conference on internet marketing for the rest of the week, so you'll probably be spared any more posts for the next few days. Any spare time I have will be spent carving pumpkins and getting ready for my party this weekend.

Peace,

P. Del Ricci - Dark Glass

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home