Through a dark glass - musings on the Catholic Church from an outsider on the inside

I hope more eyes than my own will visit this site and find it of interest. Perhaps my perspective as a non-Catholic working for Liguori Publications will intrique. From time to time, my thoughts may scandalize but I hope they never bore.

Monday, August 15, 2005

First post - time to put pen to paper

Hello:

Hopefully more eyes than my own will view this site and it will be judged to have some small value or at least to be of interest. BLOGS, of course, are the uber hot thing right now. Have I created this one just to have one? No. Have I created it because I think that the world is desperately lacking the wisdom I am about to convey? No. I've decided to write / create this BLOG for a variety of straighforward reasons that should become apparent if you read on.

I work for a Catholic Publishing House called Liguori Publications. Though I'll be using a pen name (num de plume) of Padre Philip Del Ricci, it should be easy enough to determine who I am. One of my responsibilities at Liguori is the promotion of content through electronic means, this includes e-commerce and digital distribution (though photocopiers are electronic, this doesn't seem to be one of my responsibilities). One of the beauties of blogs is that they are a cheap, fast and efficient way to increase SEO (Search Engine Optimization). By sprinkling relevent links throughout this posting to sites that I have some affiliation with (Theological Book Service, Liguori's Mission Site, Liguorian Magazine and of course Liguori's e-commerce site) I'm able to increase (oh so slightly) the number of "authoritative" links to those sites which can help to boost our rankings in the search engines.

Another inspiration for this BLOG is personal. Among my other character flaws, I am an aspiring writer who finds it impossible to write (if you have ever considered writing, I suggest you check out Freelance Factor). I've been told that the best way to begin writing is to write. The obstacle for me is that I want to give birth to a complete magnum opus like Athena from Zeaus' head. If I can teach myself that writing small is still writing I may actually write that novel that keeps trying to see the light. Since I am in the enviable position of being able to get paid while I write a BLOG, what have I been waiting for?

I seem to be violating a Cardinal rule (you can tell they are Cardinals because they wear read caps) of BLOGS by writing so long, so I'll publish this and ramble some more later. PLEASE leave a comment if you read this. I am really curious how many people will encounter this BLOG. As things develop, if I find that personal issues keep surfacing that don't blend well with the work-flavor of this one; I will split off a new one to pursue those avenues that I certainly hope that you'll find more interesting.

P. Del Ricci

1 Comments:

Blogger Philip Del Ricci said...

Thank you so much. I am especially flattered that you took the time to read my older posts.

Peace,
P. Del Ricci - Dark Glass

10/06/2005 1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home